The Semesterticket

What is the Semesterticket?

The Semesterticket is a ticket for public transportation available to all students of the FH-Bielefeld. It consists of two parts: the OWL Semesterticket and the NRW Ticket.

The OWL Ticket is valid at all hours for public transportation in the East Westphalia-Lippe (Ostwestfalen-Lippe or OWL) region. The NRW Ticket is valid for all “normal” buses, trams and regional trains of the other transportation associations of North Rhine-Westphalia.

Every student pays for the ticket with a part of their semester fee at enrollment or re-enrollment.

Since summer semester 2017, the FH Bielefeld offers the Deutsche Bahn "Online-Ticket".

You will no longer receive your Semesterticket from the Studierendenservice (student services) – instead, it can be downloaded from the website of Deutscher Bahn.

The online ticket has the following advantages:

  • You can choose whether to print out the ticket or save it onto your phone.
  • In case you lose your ticket, you can print out a new one at any time without contacting student services.
  • You have access to the Semesterticket immediately after your student fees are booked (at the earliest, 45 days before the new semester).

Here, you can find an overview of where the Semesterticket is valid: NRW Ticket validity zones

Does the Semesterticket allow me to take a bicycle or another person with me for free?

There may be other regulations at other universities in other areas, but your Semesterticket for the  Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences is not valid for bicycles or accompanying persons.

Can the ticket be used for a pet without additional costs?

Yes, it is possible to take your pet with you, as long as it doesn’t take up a seat. The applicable terms of transportation (Bef├Ârderungsbedingungen) for animals (use of a muzzle, cat carrier, etc.) must be adhered to.

Newly-registered students of the FH may use their ticket before the official start of the semester, from the 17th of August and 15th of February of each year.

However, this only applies to the East Westphalia (Ostwestfalen) region. The NRW ticket is only valid from the official start of the semester.

For transportation of bicycles on buses and trains, you will need a bicycle ticket (Fahrradticket) of the DB or a supplementary bicycle ticket (Zusatzticket Fahrrad) for the Sechser public transportation region (e.g. for the trams in Bielefeld), that you can purchase from the ticket machines. Those who wish to transport their bicycle to the FH by tram, for example, must buy a bicycle ticket.

Can I use the Semesterticket for night buses (Nachtbus/NachtExpress)?

Use of the Nachtbus or NachtExpress in Bielefeld and the surrounding regions (e.g. Herford, G├╝tersloh) is now completely free of charge with the Semesterticket. You will need to show your old student ID card or the FH Card.

What should I do if I lose my Semesterticket?

Visit the students’ secretariat (Studierendensekretariat) of the Fachhochschule, where you will receive a new one for free.

Can I also receive a Semesterticket if I’m on leave from the FH?

Yes. Visit us in the AStA office during office hours, call, or write an email to .

Do I have to pay for the Semesterticket if I don’t want it?

As a rule, the Semesterticket is paid for collectively by all students. As such, it is an obligatory contribution for a specific purpose.  The Federal Constitutional Court has ruled that the AStA may impose this charge. This is based on the legal mandate of student body committees to attend to of the "economic and social concerns" of the students.

Only under this condition is it possible for us to have the Semesterticket at all. Just a few train rides through NRW, and the ticket has paid for itself. For some, life would be completely different if they did not have the Semesterticket at their disposal.

Under which circumstances do I not need to pay for the Semesterticket?

There’s no rule without an exception; under certain circumstances, you may be exempted from paying the fee for the Semesterticket. The following groups do not need to pay for the Semesterticket:
  • Those with a severe disability who have the right to free transportation according to the Schwerbehindertengesetz (the law for severe disabilities)
  • Those on leave, who are exempt from payment according to the regulations of the university administration.
  • Students who have unenrolled before the start of the semester.
  • Students, which for verifiable reasons of study are located outside of the ticket’s area of validity for more than four months.

For exemption from the Semesterticket, the following documents must be submitted until the beginning of the semester (winter semester: September 30 and summer semester: March 31):
  • the request for exemption from the Semesterticket
  • the NRW Ticket
  • proof of the reason for exemption (disabled persons’ identification, proof of leave, confirmation of unenrollment, documentation on study abroad semester(s), internship contract, etc.)

Please send these documents, filled out, to:

AStA FH-Bielefeld
Interaktion 1
33619 Bielefeld

If your documents arrive after the cutoff date (winter semester: September 30/summer semester: March 31), exemption will no longer be possible!

International Student Identity Card (Internationaler Studierendenausweis)

With the International Student Identity Card (ISIC), students are able to show that they are  international students worldwide and may receive several discounts, e.g. for hotels or museum visits.

The International Student Identity Card can only be applied for online.

The AStAs of Bielefeld University and the Bielefeld University of Applied Sciences as well as the FSR of the Minden campus no longer issue international student ID cards due to a new procedure that would require expensive, dedicated printers for the purpose.

The cost of an International Student Identity Card is €15.00.

-For the application, please upload the following documents as image files:
  • Certificate of matriculation
  • Identity card (Personalausweis) or passport
  • A recent passport photo

The internationally defined period of validity for the identity card begins on September 1st of each year and ends on December 31st of the following year.

Much more information on the International Student Identity Card can be found on the website